Powered by Blogger.

The Healthy Choice with Raw Food

>> Thursday, June 21, 2012

When I was a kid, I was a picky eater. Actually, more like a no-eater. I remember when I was a kid, I would sit on the dining table in the morning and be served with breakfast. Lunch came and I would still be staring at the breakfast food. My parents had tried everything -- from the choo-choo-here-comes-the-train spoon trick, to letting me watch tv while sneaking in a spoon in my mouth, to begging 'come on, just one bite,' to bribing me with hotdog and ice cream.

Believe me, I was a stubborn eater.

I can't remember when the transformation came. Now, I'm the person who'd fuss over food. Where will we eat? What do you want to eat? I want to try this, this, and this dish. Will there be something to eat in that place?

I remember Josh Groban's answer in one interview when he was asked about food. "I'll eat anything, at least once." Heeeeey, that's me too! I'm willing to taste anything, especially when travelling. Eating the local dishes is part of learning about the culture of that place. I always make it a point to choose the bestsellers or something that I haven't tried.

I don't need to be tied to a chair anymore and be force fed. Place any kind of dish in front of me and I'll try it. Before, I was a no-eater. Now, I'm an all-eater.

But I also try to moderate my intake of food and the kind of food that enters my tummy. My parents have trained me well in eating my veggies (I never had those pouty and crossed-arms moments when being fed with veggies. I welcomed veggies with a smile... except for ampalaya) and I love veggies as much as I love meat. When we go to the province, we always eat in Costales Farm, where everything is organic. We eat brown rice everyday (I get to eat white rice during lunch because I need the carbs for work. heh.) My mom delivers tofu and chilled taho in the QC area.

So when we were invited to the soft opening of a cafe that serves raw and organic food, my tummy was so game.



RawMatters Cafe is a small restaurant-slash-cafe located along West Avenue in Quezon City. All the food served there is either raw or organic, perfect for those who are health-conscious.

We were served a full-course meal. Hear my tummy doing a hip-hip-horrah!

Too bad that I didn't bring a camera with me. I only had to make do with my phone to take photos of the food that we ate.

The soup was interesting. It was not hot because everything was raw, meaning it's not cooked. It had a rich taste with a creamy texture. The moment I got a spoonful in, it was like kapoooof! I could taste all the herbs in it. I could only recognize one ingredient: corn. I think the garnish was parsley. hahaha I can never be a chef.

The appetizer was also made of raw ingredients -- cucumber, kimchi, and celery wrapped in Nori. A veggie sushi. Dad enjoyed the Kimchi very much. He's a Kimchi addict.

We had three Filipino dishes for the main course. The first was Kilawin, raw fish meat (blue marlin) swimming in vinegar. This is the only kind of raw fish meat that I like to eat. No matter how many times I've tried eating Sushi, I could not really go nutters about it. I'm all for Kilawin.

I can't remember how the eggplant was prepared. It had some white sauce and some other stuff in it. All I know that the main veggie was the eggplant. Whatever, it still tasted good.

The third is my all time favorite beef dish, caldereta. But instead of using beef, they used kambing or goat's meat. Apparently goat's meat is healthier than pork or beef. I'm not sure though if the meat served is organic. All I know that even if you eat the fatty stuff, it's still healthy. Whatever, I'm eating everything.

All dishes were served with brown rice. Oh nom nom nom.

Just when we thought we were all full from the food, we were served with dessert and coffee. Ah! Now I can mention more than one ingredient in the slice of cake: chocolate and coconut. There was no need for my tonsilitis to have a temper tantrum because it wasn't sweet. It just had the right combination of coconut and chocolate.

Forget about drinking coffee at night. We just had to have coffee with the cake. Screw caffeine, I'll worry about sleep when I get home. Cake + coffee = smiling and happy me.

We had a lovely meal. The cafe's location is very nice because it's along a major street. It's still in its developmental stage. We were shown the plans for the decorations and the interiors and it looked very promising. I also love how the people are dedicated with their job. Everyone's fired up with their passion to serve good food -- from those who conceptualized the cafe, to the barista, to the kitchen people and the office staff.

If I could offer anything, I would like to fix the wall installation and change the font used. Probably do a little tweaking with the photo by adding more color and patterns. I'd also like to see the photos of the food in frames then hung from the ceiling because laminating them isn't exactly classy. I hope they could fill the bookshelf with books -- both for kids and adults. I'm sure there are books in the market for kids on eating healthy.

Thanks to Coach Marlon for inviting us. I can't wait to see the cafe when it's really finished. Thank you too for the opportunity to be part of it; I'm glad to explore the possibilities on how I could help with the developments.

Go check out RawMatters Cafe. You can also visit their website at rawmatterscafe.com.

1 comments:

Aileen 5:47 PM  

When will we have our Tai ji class gathering here? :-)

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP