Powered by Blogger.

the man in the mirror

>> Wednesday, November 11, 2009

If Michael Jackson was a contestant at So You Think You Can Dance and American Idol, he'll win both without a fight.

I cannot consider myself as one of Michael Jackson's biggest fans. I was aware of his songs and even used his music for school productions, but I wasn't the raving die hard fan like I am a rabid fan of Josh Groban or those American Idols. Maybe it's because classical music was the only music allowed at home and downloading music didn't exist yet.

Whenever I hear the name Michael Jackson, I am always reminded of images of the unflattering side of him: dangling his child over the balcony for the paps to see (which earned the child the name "Blanket"), charges against him on pedophilia, rumors on the real reason for putting up Neverland (so he could be with little boys), the facial reconstruction and skin bleaching which made him look like a creepy monkey, etc. etc.

Unfortunately, I didn't really get to know THE Michael Jackson when he was still alive. It was only on his death that he became real to me.

I was shown the brilliance of his lyrics, which talks about current events. If you take away the melody to his songs and strip it down to the lyrics, he pleads for humanity and equality. He talks about saving the earth. He writes about building a future for the young generation. He talks about being a positive change.

Tell me what has become of my rights
Am I invisible because you ignore me?
Your proclamation promised me free liberty, now
I'm tired of bein' the victim of shame
They're throwing me in a class with a bad name
I can't believe this is the land from which I came
You know I do really hate to say it
The government don't wanna see
But if Roosevelt was livin'
He wouldn't let this be, no, no

- They Don't Care About Us

I'm starting with the man in the mirror
I'm asking him to change his ways
And no message could have been any clearer
If you wanna make the world a better place
Take a look at yourself and then make a change

-Man in the Mirror

Every day create your history
Every path you take you're leaving your legacy
Every soldier dies in his glory
Every legend tells of conquest and liberty
Every day create your history
Every page you turn you're writing your legacy
Every hero dreams of chivalry
Every child should sing together in harmony

-HIStory
No wonder he was hailed as the King of Pop. He really has the talent to convey message through his songs. I believe that his intentions are good. All he wants is peace and a perfect world.

The downside of this fame is not knowing the word "No." He was a star since he was a child, and I'm pretty much sure he got everything he wanted. Well, except for a normal childhood. I'm guessing that's his reason for creating Neverland. He wanted boys to experience fun in a dream land free from work, concerts, raving fans and commitments.

I believe that no one around him was responsible enough to give limitations to Michael. Just look at his physical features. He had the money. He had the power. He wanted to become white. No one stopped him to tell him about the consequences of skin bleaching and plastic surgery. He just went with it. Constant skin bleaching caused his skin to be sensitive. I'm pretty much sure that that was one of the reasons why his nerves were confused on his last hours on earth. He told his nurse that half of his body was cold and the other was hot. His skin was too thin already, everything was painful and confused.

I watched "This Is It" last night and was awed by the production. I agreed with his bassist when he said that "Michael knew his music." Michael could sense a tiny change in the beat. He directed the band on the proper cues. He screened hundreds of dancers who would accompany him on the stage. He was good at it. No, he was excellent in it.

(commercial: I have a crush on one of his dancers. The blonde-haired dude with a bandana on his head. HAHAHA)

Even if the songs have been around for decades, he still manages to put a new flavor to his songs. Now, that's what I call brilliance. I always hear the phrase "making it your own" at American Idol. Michael reclaims his music by making his own music his own once again. It was obvious at "Smooth Criminal" and "The Way You Make Me Feel." Smooth Criminal had a chase sequence, which included a fedora dancing part and a story on the big screen. Before the start of "The Way You Make Me Feel," he added a jazzy vibe before picking up to the normal tempo. It was mind blowing.

The stage design was also amazing. The fire sequence (they used real fire doode!), the lift, the ascending stage, the big screens, the pyro, the lights... JUST WOW. I could not comprehend how they were able to pull everything off, and do it excellently during rehearsals. Those were just rehearsals, what more if the actual concert happened. I'll be bowing down to it.

But then you see how he controls the scene. No one says no to his requests. What he wants should be followed. He insists on a certain beat to the musical director. Even the director has to run everything by Michael. Michael means well for his concert, of course, but it is a reflection of what happens off stage.

Michael was also deteriorating little by little. When they were rehearsing for one of the Jackson 5 songs, he didn't sing. He was just walking down from one side to another. The director stopped the music and asked him what was wrong. Michael complained about the sound, and said that the volume was pounding on his eardrums. It was weird because they did not make any changes with the volume. Is it because his health was flickering? The next minute, he was up and singing again. *shrug*

I am amazed with his energy. He still has that spunk. At 50, he could still dance like the dancers who are what, in their 20s? His moonwalk shoots farther than the moon.

While watching the film, I can't help myself but feel sad about Michael's life. He was full of it, yet something was missing. He was days away from rebuilding that brilliance. If only he was guided correctly, he would've lived to complete the 50 concert dates. Maybe I could've seen him perform on stage, live.

Or maybe not. Because without his death, I wouldn't be writing this.

2 comments:

moonlitdawn 7:57 PM  

I thought he had vitiligo? Y'know, I think, during the 80s, his skin began to have discolorations and he had to...even it out because it was getting too bad. Or something. He always said he was a black man....I do wish he didn't feel so bad about his physical appearance; he was a very good-looking man!

I always hate myself for not finding out about him sooner. :|

Hera Leonardo 4:07 PM  

Hey sunlight!!!

I was his fan. Used to sing and copy his moves. What a waste losing someone like him. He really was a star, a brilliant one indeed.

;-)

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP