Powered by Blogger.

a final farewell

>> Wednesday, August 05, 2009

To President Cory Aquino,

I remember my mom telling me that she wanted to join the 1986 EDSA revolution. Dad didn't allow her because she was pregnant with me. She stayed home and watched the Filipino people fight for democracy. Her spirit flowed from our house to EDSA.

I was too young to be aware of political affairs and how your presidential reign inspired a lot of Filipinos to voice out their concerns. You weren't a perfect president (no one will ever be) and you had your share of critiques, but your faith kept you strong.

I don't know much about you, besides being the first lady president of the Philippines, the mother of Kris and Noynoy, and the wife of sir Benigno Aquino. You carried with you the color yellow, a symbol of life and sunshine. Surely, you were the sunshine to the dictatorship of the Marcoses. I feel bad that I only knew of your personality as a mom, colleague, boss, family member, sister-in-law, during the speeches that the people close to you gave. I admired your bravery and your compassion too late.

Now, the skies are one with the Filipino people as they cry out to an inspiration. It is in death that we realize the importance of our race. I just hope that we learn to appreciate our country, love our country and to die fighting for our country. We are all warriors in this battle called life. You fought for it and succeeded. It is our turn to carry on a legacy of democracy.

Thank you for being part of our lives. You are a living memory, an integral part of history.

Sincerely yours,
Yumi

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP