Powered by Blogger.

It's possible for Cinderella!

>> Saturday, August 16, 2008


Lea Salonga is full of awesomeness.

It's possible to wish for the impossible. I thought I won't be able to watch Cinderella because of the ridiculous prices (7k for friggin center orchestra seats?!), but the magical world is so good, the other seats were affordable enough. I still wanted to sit at the orchestra. Less expensive seats or never get to see Lea on stage?

It was a deal, I chose the less expensive seats. We got good seats anyway.

I was fidgety until the play started. My insides were soooo excited, I kept on checking dad's watch to see if it was 8 pm. The last time I saw Lea on stage was at Miss Saigon (we got good effin' orchestra seats for that. KEWL STUFF) and I was 1,000,000% sure she'll be great as her Miss Saigon role as Kim. I wanted to jump and squeal when the curtain rose at exactly 8 pm.

I was trying hard to stop myself from singing along. The musical is from Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella. If you remember, they made a film version of this starring Brandy and Paolo Montalban (yes, the Mortal Combat Filipino star hahaha). Jace gave me the soundtrack way back in college and the melody, at least, is still fresh in my mind. I don't need to give any spoilers on the plot. Oh camon, who doesn't know the story of Cinderella?

The kids in the audience were wonderful. They were so amused at the set, the dancing, the costumes, they were giggling even at the start of the play. When the prince asked for Cinderella's name, the kid beside us piped up before Lea could answer. "HER NAME'S CINDERELLA!!" It was audible to the whole theater. Sooo cute, the audience laughed at the little boy's answer. A kiss is always present during fairy tales. This didn't appeal to the kids. Another kid groaned "eewwwwwwww..." out loud during the smack scene (heavens, it wasn't even a Legally Blonde the Musical kind of kiss!) Ahhh kids, they are the real magic to fairy tales.

The magic transformations from the pumpkin to the coach, the rag dress to a gown were AMAZING. I was trying to do a replay in my mind on how they do it. I could only come with guesses with a lot of loop holes. Even the group of oldies behind us exclaimed, "OH PANO NANGYARI YON??" Holy fark, seriously, how did that happen? Cheter mind, camon start thinking!!

Do I want you because you're wonderful,
or are you wonderful because I want you?


On to the technical stuff. I'll give 4.75 to the set. The most amazing prop was the coach. The lighting to the travel scene was the most amazing technical direction to the musical. I too, like the kid beside me, wanted to have a go on the coach. It looked so comfy and dreamy. Second thumbs up goes to Cinderella's house. I love the fire place and the door. If I have a house of my own, I'll make my door similar to the door on the set. My only set problem was the palace garden. Red walls oh camon. I know it's trying to increase the love mood, but it looked... gay. Red wall and huge flowers. I would've preferred gold and white to make it look like royalty.

I give 5 out of 5 for the costumes. I want the wedding dresses. It'll be the colors for my own wedding. Even Mom loved the costumes.

Dad on the other hand paid attention to the orchestra. He was looking for a Filipino face from the musicians. My dad, the sound engineer, had his ears open for the theater's acoustics. CCP still has it. It's an awesome place for musicals. I still can't imagine how they were able to fit the helicopter during Miss Saigon. Imelda Marcos rawked the house for building CCP. Ok, I digress.

Go and watch it. They sell binoculars for 50 pesos for those who are seated at the heavenly balcony. Even if our seats had the good view of the stage and was reasonably close enough to see the expressions of the actors, Mom still bought a pair because she was curious with it. Kinda helpful to see the stage up close, I think.

Programs were sold out. EFFFIN' BOO. I bought the CD instead. Lalalalala!

Cinderella: And remember how very very hard I am wishing!
Fairy Godmother: Impossible for a plain yellow pumpkin to become a golden carriage..
Impossible for a plain country bumpkin and a prince to join in marriage.
And four white mice will never be four white horses..
Cinderella: They will!!


IT DID HAPPEN!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP