Powered by Blogger.

the Pirate steals the trophy from the Preppy

>> Monday, July 07, 2008

The day started with Nadal and Federer both smiling for the camera.



After 4 hours and countless game delays (because of the rain), it was only Nadal who stood smiling. Rafael Nadal is now the new Grand Slam winner for Wimbledon. Federer gives up the trophy after five consecutive wins.

It was a bigger match than the French Open. Both men managed 2 sets each, keeping the game to a tie. The crowd was on their feet for every point done. Half of the court was rooting for the Swiss, the other was for the Spaniard. The Prince of Spain was even there to support their player.

I didn't get to watch the game or listen to it over the radio, and I'm deeply disappointed that I wasn't able to watch. Booo for studio 23 for not airing it, boo for no cable, and booo for late night games. I hung my head in dismay when I checked my phone the first thing in the morning to see who won the match. I sooo wanted to see this game. *sniff sniff*

I'm sure Nadal has rocked Federer's ego this year. That's two consecutive loses for this year, and at the two most prestigious tennis tournaments ever.

Nadal's really a great player. Federer had nothing but praises for the young Spaniard. "Rafa has greatly improved," said the 5-time defending champion, who hugged a semi-finalist plate instead of a trophy.



Nadal sends back praise for the number one player. "Federer deserves this title too."

I admire both players strength on court. I applaud and bow down to Nadal's agility and determination to win. But no matter what happens, I'm still a Federer fan. (Agassi comes first. whoooops. hahahaha)



Nadal is now the new king of grass court, winning at 6-4, 6-4, 6-7 (5-7), 6-7 (8-10), 9-7. Nadal is the second tennis player to win both the French Open and the Wimbledon. Bjorn Borg was the first player to win both titles.

Not to worry Fed, you're still the number 1 player. Go off to win the US Open in August!

And yes, tennis has also its share of bromance. Fedal rulz.





First three photos are courtesy of the Wimbledon site. The last is from tennis.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP