Powered by Blogger.

chapels

>> Tuesday, February 05, 2008

I miss the Ateneo chapel. When I was in college, I would visit the chapel in the solitary hours of the night. The chapel would be dark, only lit by the candles on the podium and the moonlight entering the windows. Most, if not all, of the students have gone home and nature dominates the noise. The rustling of the leaves, the cool breeze, the occasional chirping of the crickets from the distance. God's presence was overpowering me, reminding me that He is there.

There is something about Catholic chapels that give me peace. I like chapels that do not have too much idols in them because they give me the shivers. The reason why I like the Ateneo chapel is that there's only one cross. There are no images and no statues. If there was one, it was inside the adoration chapel (I only entered that room during a retreat, once and maybe the last). Anyone can enter, may that person be a Catholic or not. There are no locks on the door. It's the most welcoming room in the whole school.

I miss going to a chapel. I may not be a Catholic but I always feel that God is near when I enter a chapel. I love huge Catholic churches. The echoes that bounce off the domes feels like God is speaking in a booming voice. Nature is present, as birds make nests in the chandeliers and little notches in the walls. There's something to oldness that awakens the spirit of God.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP