Powered by Blogger.

Nothing's gonna harm you

>> Sunday, December 23, 2007

I hate the rule on exclusivity on MMFF films. Tradition is that international movies are not shown in cinemas during the Christmas season, starting on Christmas day. It's supposed to give way to Filipino movies. 7 or so movies are shown in all movie houses. International movies that are set to be shown during the Christmas season are postponed to January.

One of those movies is Sweeney Todd, directed by Tim Burton. It was originally a musical by Stephen Sondheim, and Burton adapted it into a movie. It stars Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, Alan Rickman (Yes, Snape is once again a villain), and more wonderful actors. All actors sing their own parts, which makes it more interesting.

I first heard of Sweeney Todd from Josh Groban (ghads, the way I write it seems that he's just some close friend or my neighbor. HAHA Sorry, too much fandom in me). He named his dog after Sweeney, talks about Sweeney as his favorite musical, and sings one of the songs during his concerts. I even have that mp3 on file. Ehe.

Anyway, I found this clip on YouTube where that song is sung by a little kid named Ed Sanders. I say his voice is pure genius. At such a young age, he has this angelic and powerful voice that can make any mother cry. The song's so touching and brave. A little kid, vowing that he'll do anything to keep his mother safe from demons.

I wonder when the movie will be shown here in the Philippines. I can't wait to see Tim Burton's version. I swear that when I get my Broadway savings, I'll watch Sweeney Todd on stage.



Not While I'm Around
Music and Lyrics by Stephen Sondheim

Nothing's gonna harm you, not while I'm around.
Nothing's gonna harm you, no sir, not while I'm around.

Demons are prowling everywhere, nowadays,
I'll send 'em howling,
I don't care, I got ways.

No one's gonna hurt you,
No one's gonna dare.
Others can desert you,
Not to worry, whistle, I'll be there.

Demons'll charm you with a smile, for a while,
But in time...
Nothing can harm you
Not while I'm around...

Being close and being clever
Ain't like being true
I don't need to,
I would never hide a thing from you,
Like some...

No one's gonna hurt you, no one's gonna dare
Others can desert you,
Not to worry, whistle, I'll be there!
Demons'll charm you with a smile, for a while
But in time...
Nothing can harm you
Not while I'm around...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP