Powered by Blogger.

The fuss about Golden Compass and other stuff

>> Friday, December 14, 2007

1. I got my Starbucks planner already. Thanks to Jace who provided all 20 stickers. :P I only got to buy for two, then I gave my card to him. He's more addicted to the coffee, that's why he also volunteered to help me get me my planner. He's on his third planner now, for his sister. I'm helping out Adi with hers.

If you don't know the promo, Starbucks is giving away two stickers for one drink every 12-230 pm and 8-930 pm until December 25. It's their gift to the supporters of Starbucks and making them a popular choice for 10 years. It's one way to get those Christmas drinks down the drain. :P

2. I watched The Golden Compass last night at TriNoma. I managed to finish reading the book first before catching the movie. It has been a habit already to read first an existing book, because there are some details in the movie that will most probably need explaining and the book can only do that. And I can't give any opinion on the anti-Christ fuss if I don't know what the subject matter is about.

Anyway, about the movie. It's not that controversial if you watched the movie without reading the book. There wasn't any reference to the Church or show a scene that would imply that the Church is behind the project. The plot was simply about stopping an experiment that would jeopardize the lives of children and their daemon counterparts.

But it isn't.

The following might contain spoilers or answers to questions you may have regarding the movie. So I'm just giving you the heads up to whatever I may comment about the movie.

According to the book (if I understood it correctly), the Dust settles onto a human being when they are maturing. It causes their daemon to settle in form. Lord Asriel found out that the cause of this settling is the transfer of the so-called "Dust" from a universe called the Aurora, passing through the daemon and into man. The Dust is original sin. That's why a child's daemon changes in form. The daemon is sort of a conscience, that should always be with the person who owns it. Everyone is born with a daemon by his side. A child is innocent, and isn't capable of doing wrong things. They act innocently, thinking of the good as an end. However, for the adults, they act for their own sake, even if the means is evil and harsh.

The author referenced Dust to the dust in the Bible. "From dust we arise, and to dust we shall return again." Remember in the movie, when a man dies, he bursts in a golden spray of dust? It's something like that.

That is why the Gobblers, or the GOB plans to separate the daemon from the child. Without the daemon, the Dust from Aurora won't enter an adult. It'll make them free from sin, free from evil, free from wrong choices. Dust is the central theme of the story.

What I need to understand is what happens if you enter Aurora. I still need to reread the last few pages of the first book because I didn't quite get the reason for going inside the universe Aurora. That means I will have to continue reading the second and third book of the "Dark Materials" trilogy.

Families shouldn't be that alarmed with the movie. I think it's best to read the books first before your children get a hold of the trilogy. Watch the movie together so that they will see that you are open to other beliefs. Discuss the theme over dinner. What they think of it, how they felt while watching. It doesn't mean that if you're educated with the other beliefs, then it makes you less a Christian or something. Knowing something gives room for discussion and strengthening of one's faith. It allows you to research more on the real meaning of things. The more you prevent them from seeing something rumored to be evil, the more they will be curious about it. Maybe even try it out. That's the scary part.

I know that the second and third book is anti-Christianity, where God is recognized as an absentee God locked up in some prison. I shouldn't be alarmed, it's only fiction. It MAY affect the minds of the young, that's why they should be guided by the parents. Parents should explain that it's fiction, and it's no where near the likes of the Bible.

Things get really dirty when you touch on religion. I remember a line from a movie (I think it was Big Fish. I keep on forgetting.) "Don't talk about religion in front of a stranger. You'll never know who you'll offend." It's fine if you're educating children about the different religions, but once you start to say that "This is heresy or blasphemy," or "This ain't true," then the people from other organizations will start to become defensive. They begin to lose their minds, and sometimes create wars. They have the right to be defensive.

I deviate from the real topic. I'm not promoting the trilogy because I see the harm attached to it. The reader should be prepared for what is inside those pages. Someone wiser should guide the readers and keep them in the right path. I'm not stopping you either from reading the book. If you see it as pure fiction, go ahead. It's a good read. But if you're gonna look at the book for answers to life and sin, I tell you to put down that book and muster up that maturity.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP